COMPETENCY 1 (Foundation): To act as a professional inheritor, critic and interpreter of knowledge or culture when teaching students.
- Situates the discipline’s basic benchmarks and points of understanding (concepts, postulates and methods) in order to facilitate significant, in-depth learning by students.
- Adopts a critical approach to the subject matter.
- Establishes links between the secondary culture set out in the program and the secondary culture of the students.
- Transforms the classroom into a cultural base open to a range of different viewpoints within a common space.
- Casts a critical look at his or her own origins, cultural practices and social role.
LEVEL OF MASTERY:
By the end of his or her initial training, the student teacher should be able to:
- understand the subject-specific and program specific knowledge to be taught, so as to be able to promote the creation of meaningful links by the students;
- exhibit a critical understanding of his or her cultural development and be aware of its potential and limitations;
- exhibit a critical understanding of the knowledge to be taught, so as to promote the creation of meaningful links by the students;
- Establish links with the students’ culture in the proposed learning activities.
How have I developed this competency during this course or professional seminar/field experience?
What is my current level of mastery?
LEVEL OF MASTERY: ACCEPTABLE
*Reference: features of the competency and the professional competency rubric.
Name: Simon Son
Date: May 10th 2015
Course Name & Number: EDEC-201
PS/FE level (circle one) 1 2 3 4