COMPETENCY 11 (Professional Identity): To engage in professional development individually and with others.
- Takes stock of his or her competencies and takes steps to develop them using available resources.
- Discusses the relevance of his or her pedagogical choices with his or her colleagues.
- Reflects on his or her practice (reflective analysis) and makes the appropriate adjustments.
- Spearheads projects to solve teaching problems.
- Involves peers in research related to the mastery of the competencies targeted in the programs of study and to the educational objectives of the school.
LEVEL OF MASTERY:
By the end of his or her initial training, the student teacher should be able to:
- identify, understand and use available resources (research reports and professional literature, pedagogical networks, professional associations, data banks) related to teaching;
- identify his or her strengths and limitations, along with his or her personal objectives and the means of achieving them;
- engage in rigorous reflexive analysis on specific aspects of his or her teaching;
- Undertake research projects related to specific aspects of his or her teaching.
How have I developed this competency during this course or professional seminar/field experience?
- At the end of every class lead by my C.T., I sought out constructive comments from the teacher in hopes of furthering professional development
- IE// Asking teacher what types of strategies/approaches could be taken in handling students of different learning capabilities/paces
- Engaged in learning different available learning mechanisms/resources within class
- IE// Spending spare periods attempting to master Smartboard technology, understanding how to effectively integrate it within classroom context
- Sought out help from diverse sources of different departments
- IE// Asking teachers of diverse subject areas (English/Sciences/Phys Ed./Arts) for general tips and pointers in classroom management + general points of emphasis in the teaching profession
- Engaged in critical self-reflection based upon classroom engagement and observations
- IE// Use of personal journal to document observations then re-examine observations under critical-eye, attempting to understand rationale for teachers’ actions within classrooms
What is my current level of mastery?
LEVEL OF MASTERY: ACCEPTABLE
*Reference: features of the competency and the professional competency rubric.
Name: Simon Son
Date: May 10th 2015
Course Name & Number: EDEC-201
PS/FE level (circle one) 1 2 3 4