COMPETENCY 12 (Professional Identity): To demonstrate ethical and responsible professional behavior in the performance of his/her duties.
- Understands the values underlying his or her teaching.
- Manages his or her class in a democratic way.
- Provides students with appropriate attention and support.
- Justifies his or her decisions concerning the learning and education of students to the parties concerned.
- Respects the confidential nature of certain aspects of his or her work.
- Avoids any form of discrimination toward students, parents or colleagues.
- Situates the moral conflicts arising in class with reference to the major schools of thought.
- Demonstrates sound judgment in using the legal and regulatory framework governing the teaching profession.
LEVEL OF MASTERY:
By the end of his or her initial training, the student teacher should be able to:
- demonstrate sufficient responsibility in dealings with students that one can recommend with no reservations that a class be entrusted to his or her care;
- Answer to others for his or her actions by providing well-founded reasons.
How have I developed this competency during this course or professional seminar/field experience?
- Maintain professional detachment and distance from students while equally connecting with each in a genuine manner
- IE// Changing subject of discussion in a natural manner when students ask for personal accounts of social networking
- Clearly express professional stance regarding discrimination/acts of bullying
- IE// Let students know from introduction that discriminatory acts are unacceptable in my personal professional capabilities
- Provide equal attention to all students
- IE// Consistently walking around classroom ensuring some level of engagement with all students – when one student desires all the help, let him/her know I will be back shortly after assisting other students who have received less help
- Learn to respectfully refuse irrelevant/absurd requests made by students
- IE// Student X requested that I photocopy her assignment for personal usage – after checking with C.T., informed student that I am unable to perform his request in a respectful manner
What is my current level of mastery?
LEVEL OF MASTERY: ACCEPTABLE
*Reference: features of the competency and the professional competency rubric.
Name: Simon Son
Date: May 10th 2015
Course Name & Number: EDEC-201
PS/FE level (circle one) 1 2 3 4